Cinnamon Butter Rolls
For the dough
|3 cups||Golden Penny Flour|
|1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons||Golden Penny Sugar|
|1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons||Baking Powder|
|3/4 teaspoon||Fine Salt|
|6 tablespoons||Golden Penny Spread|
|1 cup||Well-Shaken Buttermilk or Whole Milk|
For the filling
|8 tablespoons||Golden Penny Spread at room temperature|
|1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons||Packed Light Brown Sugar|
|1 teaspoon||Ground Cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon||Freshly Grated Nutmeg|
|1/8 teaspoon||Fine Sea Salt|
For the sauce
|1 can (14 ounces)||sweetened condensed milk|
|2 cups||Whole Milk|
|3/4 cup||Golden Penny Sugar|
|2 tablespoons||Golden Penny Spread|
|a pinch||Fine Salt|
|1 teaspoon||Vanilla Extract|
- Let 8 tablespoons of spread come to room temperature for the filling if needed.
- Make the dough: Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Cut 6 tablespoons of golden penny spread into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Work the spread into the flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Pour in 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk and stir gently with a fork until a soft dough forms.
- Make the filling: Place 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon fine salt in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Generously flour a work surface. Transfer the dough onto it and pat into a rough 12×15-inch rectangle. Spread evenly with the 8 tablespoons of spread. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the spread. Starting at a short end, tightly roll up the dough into a log. Pinch the ends to seal and arrange seam-side down.
- Cut crosswise into 12 pieces. Arrange the pieces cut-side up in a 9×13-inch baking pan (preferably metal), 4 across and 3 down.
- Make the sauce: Place 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 2 cups half-and-half or whole milk, 3/4 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of spread and a pinch of fine salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir gently until the mixture just begins to bubble and the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour over the rolls, they will be swimming in sauce.
- Bake until the rolls are puffed and golden-brown and the sauce is bubbling and beginning to caramelize, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for several minutes. Serve each roll with a spoonful of sauce.