Delicious Meat Pie
|4 cups / 500 gram||Golden Penny flour|
|200 gram||Golden Penny Margarine|
|1||Golden Penny Sugar|
|1 teaspoon||baking powder|
|1/4 cup (60ml)||cold water|
|3/4 pound (350g)||Ground beef|
|1||Potato, Peeled And Diced Into Small Cubes|
|1||Large Onion, Chopped|
|1||Large Carrot, Peeled And Diced|
|1 cup (240ml)||Water/beef broth|
|2 tablespoons||Golden Penny Flour|
|2 tablespoons||Golden Penny Vegetable Oil|
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add margarine and rub it with the flour until you get a crumbly texture.
- Beat 2 eggs with cold water and add it to the flour mixture, mix until dough is formed. Do not over mix! Wrap the dough with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large pan heat oil, add onion and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until translucent.
- Add diced carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the meat and cook, breaking it apart, for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and flour. stir and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add in cubed potatoes and stir well. Pour in the water/broth. Stir.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, until it thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- Divide the dough into 2-4 pieces (you also can roll the whole dough, dividing it just making it easier to work). Roll out the dough into 1/8-inch (1/4 cm) thickness. Cut out a round shape with your desired size. Combine all the leftover dough and roll it again to make more circles.
- Place about 1-2 tablespoons of the meat mixture in the centre, brush the edges with water and fold over the dough. Seal it with your fingers or with a fork. Poke the pies with a fork to create a steam outlet while baking brush the pies with beaten egg.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Cool slightly before serving.